Using SUNRGI's propriety technology it is possible to produce large amounts of electricity from solar radiation at a wholesale price of US $0.05 / kWh is the lead headline on SUNGRI's website. The system is called Xtreme Concentrated Photovoltaics ™ or XCPV™.
XCPV efficiently concentrates sunlight so than it is more that 1,600 times brighter than the sun. This concentrated sunlight is focused onto triple-junction solar cells photovoltaic (PV) solar cells that convert more than 37% of the sunlight directly into electricity. The technology will enable power companies, businesses, and residents to produce electricity from solar energy at a lower cost than ever before was announced recently by SUNRGI at the National Energy Marketers Association's 11th Annual Global Energy Forum.
"Solar Power at 5 cents per kWh would be a world-changing breakthrough. It would make solar generation of electricity as affordable as generation from coal, natural gas or other non-renewable sources, without requiring a subsidy"
-- Craig Goodman, president, National Energy Marketers Association
"In a little more than a year we were able to develop and successfully test XCPV. We expect the SUNRGI system to become available for both on and off-grid power applications, worldwide, in twelve to fifteen months"
-- Robert S (Bob) Block, co-founder and SUNRGI principal.
What differentiates SUNRGI's XCPV system from other solar energy systems includes:
- Extreme Photovoltaics Concentration
- a propriety, integrated low profile technology for concentrating sunlight
- a propriety technology and methodology for cooling solar cells, allowing the cells have a longer useful life
- A dual axis tracking system that captures 175% more energy than a fixed system
- a low cost, modular system, module shown below, optimized for mass production and enables a power station to be distributed over a number of sites
- a system with less land area or "roof top" requirements than typical solar energy systems, 16X less land than thin film
- a technology roadmap for continuous improvement, the design is upgradeable, allowing it to take advantage of future advances in PV technology
- low-cost field installation
- a custom-designed system for easy operation and maintenance
- SUNRGI’s system costs significantly less per installed Watt than traditional PV technology
The system tracks the sun as it moves across the sky from sunrise to sunset. The performance difference between tracking systems and fixed systems is significant. In a day, SUNRGI's tracking system will capture and convert 175% more sunlight than a fixed system at the same advertised peak power rating.
XCPV prototypes have been built and successfully tested under both laboratory and field (outdoor) conditions.
SUNRGI XCPV technology does not depend upon silicon, and therefore is not affected by the silicon shortage.
I believe the claim for 5 cent electricity (wholesale price) is a first in the solar industry. SUNRGI has developed a low cost module that they claim is "optimized for mass production", has high efficiency and is space saving. They also are projecting that it will be available in 12 to 15 months. That would be quite an achievement for a company that apparently has not produced a commercial prototype and in a document titled Executive Summary dated April 30, 2008 states that "a best-to-date manufacturability, small-scale modular design has been envisioned and calculated. Concept drawings have been completed" and that "Over the near term SUNRGI plans to continue its research and development activities. In particular, the company is creating a demonstrable performance simulation of its concentrated solar energy system that can be showcased to its customers." I wish them the best, as such a product would be welcomed.