A few key clips from the stories, followed by full text:
* The Volt is going some way to persuade cynics that U.S. automakers are finally getting serious about environmental technologies.
* Many industry watchers, especially those in Japan, remain skeptical that the Volt will do much to narrow the gap between GM and hybrid leaders Toyota and Honda.
* While details are scant, Toyota is also working on plug-in hybrids of its own.
* Honda is working on ... plug-in hybrids of its own.
* A breakthrough in Li-ion battery technology...is expected to happen in Japan [from] Sanyo Electric, which supplies hybrid batteries to Honda and Ford, and Panasonic EV Energy, in which Toyota has a 60% stake. ...
This post, references several articles, full text included, about the GM Volt and the hype it has created, including the speculation that Sanyo will have a battery breakthrough.