PacWind Technologies scaleable Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT) is made in the U.S.A., and solves several of the inherent problems of traditional propeller based wind turbines. The model SeaHawk is available now.
Traditional propeller based wind turbine have several inherent disadvantages, such as noise, susceptibility to cross-winds and the need to control blade speed for self-preservation. A VAWT solves these issues.
- The units run completely silent and vibration free. No noise is emitted from the turbines regardless of wind speed.
- The VAWT eliminates the need to slow down the turbine under high wind conditions, because the design permits full power output at 60 mph plus and simply won’t turn any faster.
- The VAWT is not affected by cross-winds, as the direction of wind is irrelevant.
- The turbine features only one moving part minimizing maintenance, utilizing a direct drive generator
- The PacWind generates usable power at low wind speeds of 10 MPH.
- The VAWT is bird and wildlife friendly. Birds view the VAWT as a solid object. Propeller based turbines, which are invisible to the birds, cause possible injury and death. The VAWT is wildlife friendly. Animals are not frightened by the VAWT due to its silent and vibration free operation.
The SeaHawk, the first turbine in a series has a power output of 1 Kilowatt and a maximum power output of 3.4 Kilowatts. The SeaHawk measures 55 inches High by 30 inches in diameter. The PacWind VAWT is scaleable to Megawatt class turbines.
“The SeaHawk incorporates PacWind’s patented, permanent magnet, three-phase A.C. generator, containing the most powerful rare-earth magnets in the industry. This allows the VAWT to produce more power at lower wind speeds compared to propeller driven generators”, according to the inventor and manufacturer, Phil Watkins, President of PacWind Technology.
Each wind turbine includes a three-function electronic charge controller for 12V/24V/48V systems, and a three-phase Rectifier is included to complete the system.
The compact SeaHawk design enables freedom of choice and flexibility for installations, and allows one or more units to mount on a single pole. The unit is also roof-top mountable, and can be set as high or low as the winds demand. Custom mounts are also available.
PacWind Technology, Torrance, CA USA